Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Glimmer of hope

I walked into school yesterday morning...and like every other morning since the beginning of the school year, started marking the attendance register....without giving it a second thought, I marked Tarun absent...according to my kids, he never came to school even in 2nd standard...he hadn't come to school in almost 2 months...why would he find any reason to come now?? And that too on a random Tuesday???

While I'm busy marking the register, there is some commotion around one of the benches and my kids are all trying to get my attention....I see this somewhat lanky, scrawny kid with a baby pink backpack sitting next to Pankaj and just looking at me. I was shocked, surprised, all at the same time and didn't quite know what to say....

I couldn't believe that he had actually come to school....I walked up to him and introduced myself...he introduced himself as well and I told him that he could sit next to Pankaj the rest of the day as Sheefa, who he was supposed to sit next to, was absent and I hadn't figured Tarun into my seating chart...

Now what was left to see was whether he would make it back for day 2....I spent the whole day asking him various questions leading back to whether he liked school...n whether he wanted to be regular to school so that he could learn and become really smart...:) he bought into all of it and said that he would be coming to school regularly....I just hoped beyond hope that he would not be absent the next day and kill the glimmer of hope that I had for this boy!

This morning, I was happy to see Tarun walking into class and happily making himself at home...he is obedient and does the work assigned to him...indeed, he is very weak...expected of a student that is absent most of the time....I think a little bit of motivation, lots of encouragement, lots more time....and much more faith...will see Tarun make progress and taste success!!! After that there will be no turning back....

Tarun is my newest challenge...and today, again, I go back to think....believe in every child!! Even the ones that have not showed up to your class yet...they just might and you just might be the one that can save them from falling over the edge!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment