Friday, August 20, 2010

True mastery

A couple of days ago I went to Laveena's house as part of my community visit. After about a week of telling her that I would come to her house after school, I finally made it there. I didn't really feel like going that day either, but since I didn't want to see the disappointed look on her face, I decided I would go to her house and spend some time with her family.

Once I got there, I was extremely happy that I had gone to visit. Her grandmother was simply a pleasure to speak to and was animatedly describing all the activities of both her grandkids and from her I could see where the spark in Laveena and Deepak came from. Laveena is in my class while Deepak is in 4th grade and both kids have extreme energy levels and are bright eyed throughout the day!

The highlight of my visit was when I pulled my laptop out because Deepak wanted to watch Waving Flag and Wakka Wakka and a few minutes later Laveena was asking me to show various pictures that I had shown them in class at different points in time. Suddenly, Laveena starts narrating the story of Cinderella to Deepak, fully animated and enthusiastic. I watched Laveena, awed, while she narrated the whole story with all the details in Marwadi to her brother with such excitement...concluding with the fact that Didi would have a ball for the class if they behaved like ladies and gentlemen. Funnily enough clarifying that ball was not the object that you played with but a huge party that princes and princesses attended.

I knew then that it was possible....that overwhelming sense of possibility, the core value that I identify with the most, came to life.....and I knew then that all I had to do was believe and have faith...all I had to do was work hard....and that the magic would work itself....now I want my kids not to achieve 1.5 years of growth but I want to try and push them to achieve as much as they possibly can and give them that confidence to push even further! :) :) it is for that spark in her eyes when she narrated the story that I wake up every morning and head to school...

No comments:

Post a Comment