Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Early morning encounter with my ergometer in Pune

This morning was like a god send.....set the alarm for 4 AM and weirdly enough was up at around 3:40....went to bed pretty early for starters....but then again, its not everyday your body clock is screwed up enough to wake up at the unearthly hour of 3:40 AM....for those who know me, no, not even mine is....

Woke up with the idea of cooking and getting some work done...tho I wasn't quite sure what this work was....put the cooker on the stove and sat down to check my email and go through a few things....halfway through I did a few calculations with time and decided that I had time to exercise....

My ergometer had just got to Pune 2 days before and I was itching to row on it....firstly because my workout regimen had gone out the window after moving to Pune...and also because it had been so long...and now he machine was right there, right in front of me...waiting to kill me...as always!!!! Who would have known eight years ago when my parents gave it to me as a birthday present that it would become such an integral part of my life and that we would develop such a deep love-hate relationship....that is still to last many years to come!!!

Halfway through stirring the sambar, I ran to change and put on my running shoes....a few minutes later, I was sitting on the ergometer....pulling away happily...listening to the rhythmic sound of the chain spinning in the flywheel....just before this I was wondering what I had gotten myself into when I signed myself up for the half marathon in Jan....I really wasn't going to be fit enough to run that...or would I??? Could I possibly do it??? Apparently I could....as usual, others had more faith in my abilities and potential than I did....:)

I decided on a 20 for starters....and amazing how your body responds when you push it....it was the most amazing feeling....transported back to all the times in the last eight years that the machine has been my sole companion and a source of inspiration and motivation to never give up....and to push myself just a little harder...just when I think I'm doing well....just when I think I might not be able to go any further...

This is only the start of many more such encounters with my ergometer....and many more wonderful days in Pune....for now I figured out that integral to happiness and excellence is balance....and sometimes, just sometimes...taking a step back and figuring things out is not bad....conversely...probably better....

I also realized that its OK to take time out for myself and that it wouldn't kill me...would only make me stronger...so here I am, doing all the things that I love....and living the life that I never imagined!!!

Lesson from the past few days....don't wait for the right time to do anything....because the right time is now....so stop waiting and follow your heart!!! Life is too short to wait and there's just too much to do to spend your time waiting!!! :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Agree on that . . . .Life is too short to wait and there's just too much to do to spend your time waiting.
    By the way I have still to get the right posture and synchronized movement on the ergometer.
    And is it that we always get up 5 mts before the alarm rings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops....typo there, What I meant is :
    And WHY is it that we always get up 5 mts before the alarm rings?

    ReplyDelete