Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My illusional Tamil world

I never realized my love for Madras (not Chennai :p) until I came to Pune. It has barely been two months but something about that city keeps calling me back. I have tried extremely hard to pinpoint what exactly it is that I miss...is it the people? the heat? the traffic? college? the familiarity? After much debate, I just missed the city...the smell....the feel....everything!!!!

Sitting here in Pune...everyday is a further quest to satisfy the Madras void in my life....listening to heaps and heaps of Tamil music....watching all kinds of Tamil stuff on YouTube....speaking in Tamil with whoever whenever possible....eating South Indian food all the time....and, of course, trying to keep up with all the things happening in the wonderful city of Madras, which is still home :)

I think Sathyam cinemas is probably my most missed places....and my car one of my most missed things!!!! After these follow everything else...like knowing where to eat out...knowing what it is on the menu that I would like to order...where to go buy something...and where I could and couldn't park!

I think in some ways I enjoy the uncertainty of not knowing exactly what it is that I miss....including my family, home cooked food, my sister constantly yapping in the background and just the people everywhere speaking in a familiar language.....sometimes I feel maybe it is even better this way....cuz with every good thing comes some bad as well...though for Madras the good always outweighs the bad....avoidance proves easier than confrontation....every day I try and hold on to anything, however insignificant or small, that is Madras-like!!! For a Madras land I have created....and a Madras life I lead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment